Monday, March 14, 2011

The Turtles and the Hair

In a fit of spontaneity this last week, I ended up succumbing to two impulsive urges. Don’t worry; my Lenten sugar fast still remains untarnished. I did, however, make an impulse buy, and now have the first three volumes of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series on DVD. After watching the first volume (which consists of 5 episodes), I have decided that this was, in fact, a good decision! I was actually expecting to be disappointed, figuring that the series would not live up to the expectations of my childhood memories. This was not the case. I was surprised that the storylines were, for the most part, actually pretty good. I will admit that the Turtles let out some one liners that you can’t help but roll your eyes at, but I think that this was a part of the charm of the TNMTs of the 80s and 90s. My one complaint about the series: the turtle’s voices have a habit of interchanging from one character to the other. This was something I was expecting, as I recall that my 5-year-old-self noticed this. Also, whip cream pizzas? Cowabunga!
My other bout of impulsiveness? Well, I purchased an electric hair trimmer and gave myself a haircut. Good decision or bad? Well, you may notice that I will be wearing a hat more often for the next couple of weeks. While a large percentage of it doesn’t look that bad (I think), my lack of a second mirror to monitor the cutting in the back has resulted in a less than desirable look for me. So, yeah… bad decision! Definitely missing my older sister right now (she cuts hair for a living, for those of you who don’t know). I will probably try again in the future, if for no other reason than to off set the cost of the clippers.
Other things: Running has been going pretty well, although I’m starting to feel the past 5 weeks of 69+ miles/week. I did have a decent long run this week (a 17 miler with Jake, where we cut down the last 7 miles or so to the point that the last five miles were completed in 28:40ish, faster than my 8k PR for my freshman year of college!), but I’m planning on backing off a little the rest of this week for the Irish Jig (I’m excited to race, as I’ve only done two races in the past 5+ weeks: the mile and the 4x4 at the Concordia Alumni Classic). I’m actually amazed how well my running has been going considering how tired I’ve been feeling (and changing to DST this last weekend hasn’t helped much). Shoot, I may even take a day off this week.
As I mentioned, my Lenton sugar fast is still going strong, although, in all honesty, I haven’t had any real challenges as of late. The ECBoE has been fortuitously absent from the lab, and the Pharm and Tox seminar was on Tuesday last week, before the fast started. I did have to resist taking a cookie at the BMB seminar, but that wasn’t a huge loss (the cookies are OK, but don’t taste like baked crack- i.e. highly addictive- like the Pharm and Tox ones do), and I was offered a Boston cream pie sample while grocery shopping this weekend. One of the expected outcomes of this sugar fast is that my taste buds will get “reset,” i.e. eating excessive amounts of sugar dulls your taste buds to the flavor, and by removing sugar for a period of time, your sense of sweet becomes more sensitive. I’m eager to see if this is the case, although I’m thinking that I may have to cut fruit out of my diet for a week, and thereby avoiding all things sweet, to see if this is the case…
Well, I think that about does it for this edition. Blaze on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment