Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lenten Sugar Abstinence


Happy Ash Wednesday! …Wait, I’m not sure that one works… Anyway, lets get this one rolling!
Lets begin with yesterday's workout, 8 x (400 meter uphill, rest for ~700 m downhill, 150 m stride, and 350 m jog back to start). The distances are approximate; uphill was actually 0.27 mi and overall one repeat added up to a little over a mile. For me, I started at a decent pace and got progressively faster as the workout progressed, something to be proud of in and of itself. But the real reason I am proud of this workout was because when the going got tough, I was among the tough that got going. After each repeat, my stomach began to churn more and more, until, on the last set, I had heartburn so bad that I wanted to vomit and was just miserable. But, despite this, I pushed through and turned in a good workout! Yeah me! :)
Getting heartburn while I run has unfortunately been a recurring theme for me. This has been a regular occurrence since at least sometime in high school. And at this point in my career, it has become pretty clear what triggers it for me: processed, and especially sugary, foods. Alas, to this point, I must admit that the Evil Chocolate Bowl of Evil, with his army of devious Hershey® Special Dark Chocolate Miniature minions, seductively cocoa-covered armada of almonds, and special strike force of assorted M&M® colors and flavors, have been successful in breaking through my defenses and assaulting by inner well-being. Today, it was not actually the ECBE that beat me, as his Special Dark minions only were able to land three successful blows, but rather, it was the equally evil offensive assault team of Cookies, Brownies and Muffins, from the nation of Free Seminar Food, that eluded my best defenses…
Well, today is my day to make a stand. Fat Tuesday 2011 will go down in history as the last day of sugar's dominance over me. As we march forward, I declare that the ECBE, and all of his sugary counterparts, will no longer hold siege over the nation of Awesomeness (i.e. me). Here and now, from the ashes of my most recent defeat, I will rise up again like the Phoenix of legend, and stand strong in the face of temptation and cravings. And henceforth, today shall forever be known as Ash Wednesday!
…I really hope that God doesn’t strike me down for that last bit. In all seriousness, I am giving up sugar for Lent. Why? Well, as I mentioned above, I really believe that it is behind my acid reflux problems, and, besides being uncomfortable, I don’t want to get esophageal cancer in the future. Also, it isn’t good for you, its addictive, and it isn’t conducive to my athletic goals. Why now? Because I always say I’ll start tomorrow, and tomorrow never comes. Because I can use Lent as an excuse for not eating sugar for the next 46 days (the 40 days of Lent does not include Sundays, for those of you who don't know). Because I’m SICK OF GETTING HEARTBURN!
I should specify that this 46 day sugar abstinence will have a couple exceptions: 1) Fruit is allowed. It does not give me problems, and is part of what I believe is a healthy diet. 2) I’m allowed to drink GU Electrolyte Brew as an athletic supplement. This is to assist me with my training, and, in all reality, GU Brew has significantly fewer simple sugars than other sports drinks and definitely tastes less sweet. It is my hope that after these 46 days that sugar will be allowed back into my life, but where it belongs: not as a forbidden fruit, with uncontrollable urges consume, but as an occasional indulgence to be enjoyed, without guilt or remorse.
Blaze on friends!

1 comment: